Sunday, May 2, 2010

YA Community Thanksgiving - Better Late Than Never



Adele of Persnickety Snark posted her thoughts on the positives of the YA Blogging Community. I wanted to post something about it right after I read it, but never got around to it.  Well, this weekend I was giving some thought to this blog and finally made a decision about what I am going to do with it.

Since I finally got my original blog transferred to a self-hosted, dedicated domain (Karin's Book Nook), I decided to keep it as my primary blog for book reviews and such. I have had it for over 3 years and feel it is established. So, The Book Jacket will contain SOME book reviews, giveaways, book news, and commentaries about books and the blogging community. 


As I mentioned above, I've been blogging about young adult literature for over 3 years. In that time there has been several instances of back-handed comments, hurt feelings, and jealousy between bloggers. I definitely don't get involved in the drama floats around the blogosphere. I'll occasionally read the controversial posts or comments, but rarely comment on them myself. In a way, this puts me in a self-created bubble, but...it allows me to just have fun.

Here are some of the reasons I'm thankful to be involved and included with the young adult blogging community.

  • Having a blog has provided the motivation I need to read, read, read.  By reading and reviewing young adult books, I'm better able to do my job as a middle school librarian. Being able to suggest books to students is very important.  There is nothing like the feeling of handing a kid a book one day and having them come back to you a couple days later to tell you how much they loved it. 
  • Even with reading book review journals like School Library Journal, Booklist, and VOYA, it is impossible to know about all the books that are released each month.  Blogging provides another resource for me. I have had a much better knowledge of upcoming releases since reading blogs.
  • Authors - I love talking to authors.  I've had the pleasure of interviewing several. My favorite interviews were with Maggie Stiefvater and Patrick Ness.  In addition to the interviews, I had the pleasure of communicating with some authors by using Twitter.  Kami Garcia always has nice things to say and the awesome Carrie Ryan really came through for me when I had some questions about revising a manuscript.
  • Other Bloggers - I enjoy swapping books and exchanging messages with several of my fellow young adult book bloggers. I'd like to have more of a relationship with some, but I don't really know how to go about it.  I don't want to come off as stalkerish and creepy, so I kind of just keep to myself.  Maybe after meeting and socializing with some of them at BEA I'll feel comfortable calling them my friends.  At this point it seems a little presumptuous of me to call them friends. I have no idea how they feel about me, so... Anyway, I'd like to include the following bloggers as my acquaintances (hopefully soon-to-be friends): The Ravenous Reader, Reverie Book Reviews, The Story Siren, Sharon Loves Books and Cats, Mrs. DeRaps, Darren @ Bart's Bookshelf, Kristin @ Bookworming in the 21st Century.
  • Information - I tell you what. News travels fast.  When a book cover is released, it shows up on several blogs.  I love how we all share information. 
  • Reading Suggestions - I will never be at a loss for something to read.  Even though I have piles and piles of books around the house, I'm not always in the mood for what I have.  With all the blogs I follow, it is easy to get suggestions for things to read.  Both in and out of my reading comfort zones.
  • Blog Designs - I'm not very good at this yet, but after seeing so many beautiful designs out there I have decided to learn.  I can't wait to take a class on design or Photoshop or something.
So, there is my list of things I'm thankful for.  Thanks to everyone who reads this and follows me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share you thoughts with The Book Jacket.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designs by Barbara